70 sportspersons from Indian Army represented the country in Asian Games 2014 at Incheon, South Korea. Gen Dalbir Singh, COAS felicitated the awardees in South Block for their commendable performance which contributed towards 11 medals (02 Gold, 01 Silver and 08 Bronze Medals).
The eighteen medalists were :-
- Nb Sub Jitu Rai, Gold and Team Bronze Medal in Shooting.
- Nb Sub Sandeep Kumar, Gold Medalin Archery.
- Sub Maj Vijay Kumar, Sub Pemba Tamang and Sub Gurpreet Singh, Team Silver Medal in Shooting.
- Nb Sub Chain Singh,Bronze Medal in shooting.
- Hav Arokia Rajiv and Hav Naveen Kumar, Bronze Medals in Athletics.
- Hav Satish Kumar, Bronze Medal in Boxing.
- Hav Dushyant, Bronze Medal in Rowing.
- Hav Sawarn Singh Bronze Medal in Rowing.
- Nb Sub Devinder Singh, Nb Sub Kapil Sharma, Hav Maninder Singh, Nb Sub Md Azad, Nb Sub Robin PU, Sub Maj Bajarang Lal Takhar and Nb Sub Ranjit Singh, Team Bronze Medal in Rowing.
The COAS interacted with the awardees and felicitated them with COAS Commendation Cards and cash incentives. He expressed confidence that the sportsmen would continue excelling in their fields and bring laurels to the country in the Olympic Games in 2016. The COAS stressed on the need of focused preparation and hard work towards the same. He congratulated the Mission Olympic Wing at Army Headquarters for successfully pursuing their goals and coerced them to attain greater heights.
Currently around 500 young potential sportsmen are undergoing extensive training at the five Mission Olympic Nodes under the Mission Olympic Programme of the Army.The Nodes are Army Sports Institute, Pune; Army Marksmanship Unit, Mhow; Army Rowing Node, Pune; Army Yachting Node, Mumbai and Army Equestrian Node, Meerut which have ‘State of Art’ world class training infrastructure and have employed some International Coaches and Sports Specialists training the sportsmen in the various disciplines around the year. The main focus is in the sports of Archery, Boxing, Shooting, Weightlifting, Wrestling and Rowing.